Saturday, April 28, 2012

Transition

It only took me 6 months, some stress and sadness to get me back into the writing saddle.  Much has changed since I last wrote.  Guns are not the focus of my life, I promise.  So, let me update you on the life I lead.

In July, we're moving to Sacramento, CA!  I'm so excited for so many reasons.  First, Dan was detailed into an amazing new job: Operations Officer and Chief Pilot at Air Station Sacramento.  He'll get to fly a new airframe (his 5th), the C-130 aircraft, know as the Hercules or Herc in the Coast Guard.  And he'll get to provide experience and counsel to newer pilots and work on a new mission, something he's trained for in his last 17 years in the CG.  I'm so unbelievably proud of him that I can't truly express myself. 
Second, I can't wait to get back to the West Coast. For those of you who may not know, I was born in Phoenix, AZ and lived there for 11 years before moving to Atlanta with my family.  I love the heat and just the lifestyle of the West--I can't really describe it, but I feel at home out there.  My dream is to retire in San Diego, but that may be a long way off.  Sacramento is an amazing area, and we're fortunate to be renting a gorgeous house in North Natomas from another wonderful Coastie family.  I hope that you'll consider coming to visit us while we're there for 3 years.
Our biggest obstacle in this whole process has been the house we have in Virginia.  We had it on the market, but were unable to sell it without losing quite a bit of money.  So, now it's up for rent, and that's been an adventure, to say the least.  But we currently have a lease pending, and I'm praying that this wonderful family will make our wonderful house their home.  This process hasn't been easy or enjoyable, but I am learning quite a bit.
God has been really faithful and gracious to me during this process, but I can't say the same.  While I truly know that He has a plan that's right for my family and I, I haven't been peaceful, faithful, or trusting of that.  I've been anxious, stressed out, frustrated and sad about various pitfalls that Ive experienced with this transition. Ironically, in a moment of weakness, I prayed for God to give me peace in this process--and I proceeded to get really sick as a result.  Okay, I get it...I am down...I am prostrate...I am open to whatever may come.
Now that these obstables seem to be surmounted, I'm having to confront the emotions that accompany a move of this magnitude.  We've lived here for 8 years and been on the East Coast for 17.  During my time in VA, I've made many friendships, some that have crumbled and others that have strengthened as I've experienced the true love of Christ.  Some old friendships have suffered as I've gotten caught up in life and it's daily craziness, and others show their strength as only lifelong friendships can sustain and endure.  But I'm suppressing the sadness that accompanies change and transition as it relates to having to leave my lovely and amazing friends.  I've struggled with depression for so long, and when a hint of sadness starts to creep in, my first reaction is fear of falling into the abyss.  I turn to God and his strength, but that doesn't keep the sadness from rising.  I know that it's healthy and normal to feel this, and I need to be a really good example for my kids on how to experience this change in life.  But I am struggling.
I'm sad.  I will really miss my ladies!  I can check Facebook as a sort of voyeur experience, but Facebook seems to make me feel lonelier sometimes.  Many people know that I'm not a big fan of the site and don't check it often, but, yes, it does provide a connection.  So, I think I will be turning to this wonderful expression that is blogging to get me through. Writing has always soothed me, and now I can give you an insight into this new adventure.  I promise not to make it all about me all the time.  My kids, who seem way more resilient than their mom, are doing well with this new experience--I continue to learn from their example!  Who would've thought?
Stay tuned for more updates!
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment