Monday, October 10, 2011

Love me some shootin'!

Today, I think I added some spunk to an already exciting and wonderful marriage: I shot a gun for the first time ever! 


Columbus Day is a fun day for Dan and I because it's one of the only times that he has a holiday, but the kids have school.  So, we use it to have a daytime date.  Normally, we do our boring eat-then-a-movie, but neither of us really wanted to see anything in the theater.  Well, talk about an exciting twist to the fun day!  As a surprise, we ate a really great lunch at this out-of-the-way recommendation called the Worst Deli and Sushi--well worth the drive.  Then, off to a new activity on what Dan termed Anne's Out of the Box Day of Fun.  First, I thought we were going flying because he got off at the exit for Stafford County Airport.  But when we drove into this car repair park, I quickly scanned the sign and saw "Shooting Range".

I was actually scared and nervous, but I've been with Dan too long to know that there's no option of backing out--tough love, Baby, all the way!  And it's worked for me so far--he's never steered me wrong.  I felt way out of place until another couple came in, and the wife had the exact same deer-in-headlights look as mine.  We chose a gun to rent, put on our ear and eye protection and entered the lanes. People, the first time I heard an actual gunshot (and this was with earphones on), I felt like I had just jumped into the ceiling.  The sound is indescribably loud--those guys in Afghanistan are shooting all day long without any ear protection which seems unimaginable! Then, I watched another lady aim at a target drawn to look like a terrorist--after seeing the recoil, I was terrified.  My thoughts: What am I doing here?  People die from idiots like myself, freaking out from the power of guns and then accidentally shooting someone!

However,  Dan gave a good tutorial, despite the handicap of deafness, and I watched him load and shoot the 9mm Beretta before even stepping into the lane to pick it up.  Heavy!  Adrenaline raced through me as I lifted it.  I made Dan hold my hands the first couple of times for fear that I would bounce too much from the recoil and then whip around and shoot him dead.

Ultimately, I LOVED IT!  It's very serious to hold a gun and shoot it, but it's also extremely challenging!  Out of about 100 rounds, I only succeeded once in hitting the little black and neon yellow diamond at which I was aiming (top left; all the ones in the middle and on the head were Dan).  As I continued, I became more precise, but never accurate.  I definitely want to do this again, if for nothing else than to see my sexy husband aim and shoot a gun--very tantalizing (sorry, Mom).  But I have a much greater appreciation for the men and women who are fighting for our security both here and abroad.  Thank you for your service and protection, Jimmy!

Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment