Monday, March 29, 2010

Baking, Babies, and Boobies (family friendly post!)

I love Mondays! Well, as a general rule, they aren’t my favorite day of the week, but now that I am doing my Favorite Things on Mondays, I'm having fun! Today, I am combining 3 of my Favorite Things on one post because I am just bursting to tell you all about them!
As some of you may already know, when Brennan was about 8 months old, we confirmed that he has many allergies, but more specifically, allergies to several foods. Needless to say, we were disappointed, but we decided that if this was the worst challenge that God was going to give us regarding Brennan’s health, then we were thankful. We are lucky that in recent years, the FDA has required food distributors to include not only a list of ingredients on products, but also allergens. (Not all companies list the allergens after the ingredient list, so it’s always important to check them all.)  I digress…. Anyway, Brennan has allergies to eggs and all nuts, which makes it tough to bake desserts. But after much research, I have found several companies that now make my life so much easier when it comes to treating ourselves. My favorite company is Cherrybrook Kitchen. Whenever anyone in our family has a birthday or a special occasion, I run out and buy the cake mixes, cookie mix, or brownie mix for baking. Dan had a birthday recently and wanted cupcakes, so we used the Vanilla cake mix—they were so moist that I have now forgotten that the mixes are not the traditional Pillsbury or Betty Crocker mixes. Brennan requested a cookie cake for his birthday, so I used their chocolate chip cookie mix and baked it as one giant cookie

 (like the ones Mrs. Field’s makes)-- it was so yummy! I will tell you that the funniest thing for me, though, was when we used the Cherrybrook Kitchen mix to make a train cake for Brennan’s birthday, and everyone kept coming up to me and asking for the recipe! Who would’ve thought that an allergen-free cake mix would have people flipping for joy over the taste?!

So, if you have a child with any type of food or gluten allergy, please check this company out. I have found the mixes at many grocery stores, including Whole Foods, Wegmans, bloom, and the military commissaries are even starting to carry them!

My next Favorite Thing is http://www.mamabargains.com/. My wonderful and trendy friend, Elise, turned me onto this site soon after Brennan was born. Items featured are mostly baby-related, but on occasion, Mamabargains has purses or clothing just for the lady in your life. I have gotten some fantastic products and deals through this site, which is based in Utah and was started by a couple of moms. Here’s how it works: every day, the site profiles one product/company at a time. You just can’t beat the prices—they are typically about 50% off retail, and the featured products are from dependable and trustworthy companies. On the right side of the page, you can see how many units that Mamabargains has left (there's a little pregnant stick figure running). Once the entire product is sold, the site brings up another product. So, it’s a good idea to make this site a Favorite and check it throughout the day. Check the How It Works link to get the real deal on this fantastic site. Some things I have purchased: shoes from the Vincent (Sweden) company that have outlasted all of our other shoes, but sadly not the growing feet; tons of Learning Resources activities as birthday gifts and fun toys; women’s shirts that help to hide my “mommy tummy”; shirts, socks, boots for the kids; and many more things I can’t think of right this second (because, duh, I'm a mom!). If you're a mom, about to become a mom, or have friends who are moms, you DEFINITELY need to check out this site!

Finally, let’s talk about BOOBIES! They are favorites of babies and men worldwide, and I kind of like mine, as well. But unfortunately, some little cells known as CANCER like them, too. I am not trying to get up on a soap box, but Breast Cancer Awareness is becoming more important to me as I age. For one, my family has battled it (Love you bunches, Aunt Diana!), my friends are being touched by it (Jual, you are my hero! Give your mom my love, Kelly!), and thanks to some wonderful women like my friend, Linda Schott, women across the world are being saved from it due to mass fundraising efforts associated with the Susan G. Komen foundation and Avon’s Walk for Breast Cancer. Well, I never thought I would be asking this, but please check out Linda Schott’s site, if not for you or your family, but for me. In October, I went to a Pink Bunco night on the Quantico Marine Base for Breast Cancer Awareness month. It was a blast! I was given a flier about the free Mammography Van that comes once a month to Quantico for free Mammograms. After many months of putting it off, I decided to go for a Mammogram since it had been 12 years since my last one (Aside: In 1998, I had a lumpectomy on my left breast that resulted in a benign cyst indicating that I had non-degenerative fibrocystic disease—lumpy, bumpy boobies.). So, on March 11, I squished and pinched my 36 DD’s and felt proud to have done so. Last week, I was called by the Imaging Center saying that I needed to come in for a follow-up mammogram and ultrasound of my right breast. What a shocker! I immediately called my mom, and she said that many of her friends get called back since the machines pick up so much more than they used to. So, I am optimistic that this is a regular occurrence and will not result in any cancer. I am in God’s hands, which are the most wonderful hands in which to be. But the doctors who are also guided by God’s hands need help and funding to eradicate breast cancer. So, if you have a minute and maybe a few dollars, please help Linda reach her goal. Go to Linda’s link to learn why she is “…in it to end it” and to make a donation! You will be helping women, and I would appreciate it so very much.

I do not plan to do future fundraising posts, so please don't stop reading if you think that is the case.  I will write a follow-up entry on Wed. after I get home from the Imaging Center.

And as a follow up to my fivefingers post, Vibram did write back, and yes, Efferdent DOES work well to clean and get the smell out of fivefingers!!

Again, thanks for reading!

Anne :)

No comments:

Post a Comment