Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Volunteerism--you know you want to...

I just offered to help with coordinating volunteers for our elementary school's annual Book Fair.  This event is near and dear to my heart for so many reasons: my chidren love to read and so do D and I; I was a Middle School English teacher who still loves to write and edit; reading is so fundamental to so many things that we do in life.  Just think how closed off your world would be right now if you couldn't read one thing on the Internet.  At least you know that you could cross the street safely since the electronic signs use pictures instead of words, now.

But the funniest thing to me is trying to get people to come and help the kids pick out books and pay for them (You'd be surprised how tough it is for elementary school kids to figure out money.).  This is a huge fundraiser for the school library, and if you've ever been to any school library, you know that it is always in need of more books, repair for books, and the latest technology.  So, here is yet another reason I want this to go well. 

In no way am I trying to be negative about the people who already signed up to volunteer.  I am just poking fun at the process. 
Volunteerism has gone down, as has charitable giving, since the economy has tanked.  But thankfully, the Obama administration has recently made it a focus cause.  I recently read (I think in last week's Time magazine--I'll try to find the article if you let me know you are interested.) that somewhere, companies have started a new program to help people to get jobs.  They apply for a position, work for free (Isn't that the biggest part of volunteerism?) for 6 weeks learning the skills of the job, and then upon completion of the 6 weeks are evealuated.  They are either asked to stay, at which time they start earning a salary, or told that they just don't quite make the cut as far as skills are concerned.  I think this is a fantastic way to encourage on the job training.  It just makes sense to me, but some feel that it is just a way for companies to get free labor.  I'd love to get your thoughts.  I will also try to find the actual article. ;)

But, alas, we don't have such incentives at our lowly (Aside: Remember Lowely from the Richard Scarry books?  You can see him and all the other characters talk on Saturday mornings on CBS.  Honestly, it sort of takes away from the imagination of the books, but what do you do?) Book Fair, but I am hoping that after the 15th email and 3rd phone message that some of these people will decide to step up and volunteer to help the kids--especially since these people put down on their volunteer forms that they specifically wanted to help with the Book Fair.  Go figure...

No comments:

Post a Comment